Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What the Bleep (is in my Smoothie)?

i wanted to drink it but i could not bring myself to do it.

Time for mystery hour! Gather 'round.

I made a smoothie tonight with the following: banana, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, lime, cacao, water. Notice that at no point did I mention adding a finger. And yet in my tastiest-ever smoothie there are what appear to be half-blended sort of translucent little plastic strips strewn throughout -- I can bite through them and they tear just like pieces of skin (don't ask). So they're pieces of some sort of cellulose-based material, I'm guessing. Hoping. I'd noticed something was odd after my third mouthful. I'm really hoping it's just the lime, since this is the first smoothie I've had with a whole peeled lime... Hmmmmm... I've dumped the smoothie down the sink and these pieces are all over the place. Grossaroo. (I'm borrowing that word just for this post.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same thing!! What is it?
It seems like little pieces of plastic, but where could that be coming from? I checked the blender, no plastic.. It just puts a bad taste in my mouth!

Sonya said...

Hey Sarah,
I think (after regaining my appetite for smoothies and making some more using similar ingredients) that the bits resembling plastic are indeed from the citrus. What were the ingredients in your smoothie? I think that in mine, the frozen strawberries hardened the citrus skin, and voila, weird plastic-y pieces. It is a tad unnerving to see/taste in your mouth something that you didn't add to the blender, yes? Haha. Happy smoothie-making.