Monday, February 23, 2009

Cucumber Avocado Soup

it looks pretty, tastes ugly. note to self: make what you want instead of what is easy. hmm. I sense a profound life lesson in there.
Look! I made something pretty.

Cucumber-avocado soup looks prettier than it tastes. (I don't like the taste of cucumber or celery -- and this soup is heavy in both.)

The recipe says it serves 4. Well, maybe 4 really hungry people -- I left out the last ingredient because my blender already had 2L of soup in it (almost overflowing) by the time I got to the "4 cups of purified water" part.

From Carol Alt's The Raw 50: "Put all the ingredients in the blender and whir them until creamy smooth. Pour into bowls and serve."

Easy, right?

Right. I think that's the only reason this recipe appealed to me.

Ingredients:

4 large cucumbers, cleaned and peeled [I had blended 2 cucumbers already before reading I was supposed to peel them.. so 2 were peeled..]
4 celery stalks
1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
1/4 cup chopped dill
1/4 fresh lemon juice
4 cups purified water [um, where do they find the room for all this liquid? I would need another blender for that.]

Verdict: It's an okay soup, but not something I'd make again. I have some other soup recipes in mind, featuring foods that taste good to me. Now there's an idea.


Also made:because you cannot eat too many avocados.
Guacamole and Lettuce Burritos!

I didn't even try to make these look good; the substance speaks for itself. (That's what I should have told my sister when she made fun of me for dressing wrong and tying my sweater at the top. I knew she'd be all over that. *Hi Amber!*)

No comments: