Thursday, February 12, 2009

Raw Veggie-Nut Burgers


From page 18 in Raw Food for Busy People by Jordan Maerin (I read just 2 chapters):


This book is meant to help you incorporate raw foods most conveniently and comfortably into your everyday life. It is not meant to take the place of occasional forays into raw gourmet food preparation, though for some of you true slackers, it may actually do that.


Hmm. This guy has me pegged.

Moving along to today's routine:

frozen mango spinach pudding. notice the effort i made to contrast the bright green with the red background colour.Up at 6:30ish this morning, had a mixed green salad with avocado for breakfast. Walked halfway around Stanley Park's seawall. Got some groceries from Choices; my credit card was charged only $1.97. I ran home and didn't look back.

10am-3pm Soaked my raw almonds to neutralize the enzyme inhibitors or whatever. Changed the water 2x.

10:30am made a mango-apple-spinach frozen pudding: 1 cup frozen mango, 1 ambrosia apple, 3 big handfuls of spinach.

For dinner I shaped some veggie-nut mixture into burgers based on a recipe from a book I'd downloaded from a torrent site. *Hi Mom.*

Raw Veggie-Nut Burgers (Originally by Karen Knowler in her How to Get Started With Raw Foods)

les ingrédients pour ma création fantastiqueHer lovely version:

2 cups soaked almonds (you can use walnuts or pecans etc.)
2­-3 large carrots
1/2 large onion or more to taste [I used a red onion]
1 large handful of fresh parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt (or Himalayan Crystal Salt)

my blendereth runneth overMy version:

All of the above except the salt. I'm not a big salt fan.
Plus

1/2 of one chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 of a chopped beet just because I had one and
some sprouted sunflowers in the form of the remaining 1/4 cup of mock tuna salad I had as leftovers in the fridge.

Directions:

Let the almonds soak for a few hours. Put all ingredients into a food processor [or do what I did which was cut all the ingredients into smallish pieces for the vita-mix to finely chop using variable speed control. I added all the ingredients at once, which I do not recommend, as this practice is hard on the blender and will render a final mixture consistency that isn't as.. consistent. See? Wow lame.].

Karen says, "Taste test – if you think it needs more spice, add some fresh or dried herbs or seasonings. Curry powder can work well!" [I meant to add cayenne and maybe turmeric just because I have them but I'm probably glad I forgot.]
impressively bloody-looking veggie patties for all my vegan friends
Shape into burger shapes. [Mine look like real hamburger patties! Not sure if that's a selling point though.]

Okay... these are friggin' fantastic patties. I let them sit to dry out (all eleven patties -- I ate the 12th one) for a bit before having one with a mixed green salad topped with the usual avocado, tomatoes, red bell pepper slices, hemp seed nuts and dulse. I like these patties. The remaining patties are going in the freezer.

Bloody valentine patties, that's all.  Nothing gross to see here.  move along.Two good recipes in a row! I'm unstoppable....

No comments: