Monday, February 16, 2009

Raw Secrets Exposed

So today's food-related passage aimed at balancing the extremist in me, is from The Raw Secrets by Frédéric Patenaude:
For many people, raw-foodism has become a sort of religion where cooked food is evil and raw food is salvation. Many books have exaggerated the benefits offered by the raw diet and neglected practical application. Some raw foodists think that anything raw is better than anything cooked. They think that all they need to do is to eat raw foods and avoid cooked foods at all costs...

Many raw foodists, including myself, have promoted the concept that Dr. Doug Graham calls the Raw / Not Raw Philosophy. It is an oversimplification of all health principles into one criterion: "Is this raw?" Rather than wondering, "Is this healthy for me?" or, "What do I experience in my body after eating this," some raw-foodists only want to know, "Is this raw?" For vegans, the question is: "Is it vegan?"


Amen brutha. How does my body feel after eating this? I like that emotional responses are acknowledged as the best, most reliable measures of Right. I'm a girl, it's how I roll.

As an experiment I'll tone down the fats consumption and increase the fruit smoothies. I suspect I've been eating too many nuts and avocados according to Patenaude, but whatever -- I feel all right. I feel so good! (That's what people tell me when they hug me.) And tonight I rubbed my eye with a cayenne-powdered finger and my mouth is black from blueberry smoothies... but other than that, I look normal.

Here's a raw shot of an undressed salad caught with its veggie-nut pieces consorting with hemp seed nuts. The avocados only look innocent. Maybe somebody else should be the posterchild for this lifestyle.
tonights salad featuring raw catfood

No comments: