Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Good Morning Starshine

The birds woke me up early today. I listened to their greetings for a few minutes until I was conscious enough to convince myself that I'd feel great if I got up and went for a walk to the beach to catch the sunrise (yes I know I'd be facing the opposite direction, but.. yeah). So I walked to the beach through the back alleys, breathing in the crisp morning air, freezing my ass off. It was nice. Refreshing. There's something uplifting about walking to the beach for no reason but with great purpose while most people are standing at the busstop looking peed or walking to work with no smile on their face. Granted, I wasn't smiling either, but still, uplifted.

So I arrived at the park bench near Pacific Blvd. and stood beside it for a few seconds, taking some time to admire how softly the early morning sunlight reflected off the West End buildings. Ah, the sun. I sat and looked out over the water. I pictured myself playing volleyball on the beach with my friends. [But not wearing those bathingsuit volleyball shorts the girls wear. That's the reason (the only one, haaa..) that I didn't pursue volleyball at the pro level -- they have to wear those distracting little bathingsuit shorts. WTF? Bathingsuit bottoms are simply not functional beach volleyball attire, seriously. If I had to wear those I'd always be making adjustments when I should be focused on where the ball is going. Aaand moving along...] As I sat on the park bench, a couple of crows dropped tree moss on the grass in front of me. Fun was had. Now I'm doing some reading and reminding myself to focus on one task at a time (multi-tasking isn't effective, say the experts). Clearly.

I'm waiting to eat when my body signals that I'm hungry... it's a new thing for me. So this writing is part of the plan to focus on something other than on filling the emotional void with good eats. I'm half-kidding.

Reminder: I feel best when I start the day early with a morning walk, think of all the big picture things that are going well for me (hmm everything goes well because my life is just so awesome. Awesome and groovy. Thank you to everyone in my life for being part of this comedy-drama-musical-spokenword-interpretive dance collaborative process), intend what I want to do for the day and then do it.

No comments: