Monday, March 16, 2009

Gorilla Birthday Meal

Gorilla Food, The Made-For-TV Movie

Starring:

Crista.... as Michelle (ha ha)

Sonya as herself

Background:

Crista is a sweetheart and has been for the past 13 years that I've known her.  We met in Catholic school way back in grade 9 and enjoyed most of our English classes together.  (That explains my writing style -- I don't recall anything school-related from those classes except for a Chinese Underwear creative writing assignment we had to present and A Prayer for Owen Meany journal entries. ) 

Crista remembered that my birthday is coming up!  She always remembers.  And she gave me the best card -- here are two sentences I think I'm allowed to share:  "Since this raw food lifestyle change I am unable to bake you a cake, buy you chocolate, or cook you dinner -- all ways I like to show love.  Instead we'll have to indulge the raw way.  Yummy! :)"

So she took me to the only raw food restaurant that I know of (and it's a fun one), for good eats and good reminiscings about the good ol' days back when we were young and our lives were ahead of us and all the world a stage.  Kind of like now... *sigh*...  some things never change.

On the menu: 

Pesto pizza 

Falafels (new thing I hadn't tried): A romaine lettuce leaf pita filled with sprouted then dehydrated pumpkin and sunflower seed veggie falafel balls served on a bed of zucchini hummus, topped with a sweet tahini sauce and a grainless tabouli. 

Water wisdom saladsame as last time except on this salad we were given almonds instead of hazelnuts.  I don't know why.  Sometimes the details are different in the tv version.

Chocolate Pie

The Plot Thickens:

The original script involved Fresh Thai Wraps, but the people dining beside us scored the last batch... so we made a video.  We just had to.

Also, the nice lady (also a sweetheart) @ Gorilla Food surprised me with a candle on the pie!  She said she hopes my wish comes true.  How sweet is that?!  Very. The small things mean the most.  This entry is magnifying my sentimental mood, haha.  So please excuse the excessive sappiness, and I suggest that you consider brushing your teeth after reading this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOOOOOO FUNNY! You could have shared some of the other comments on the card but I like the one you selected. And the video of me rambling and rocking like a crazy woman?! Classic! But I do like your narrative style and creative flare. Well done.

Anonymous said...

And if I knew I was playing Michelle I would have tried to get into roll. Next time let me know if you're pretending I'm someone else!!! :)

Sonya said...

Hey Crista... Haha, the movie theme is a running inside joke -- I usually go to Gorilla Food with Michelle. You would know such things if you actually read my blog... *ahem*. ;)

The video is classic. Not as classic as our "Alden Nowlan" outtakes, though.