Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Broccoli "Cheddar" Cannelloni


Yesterday I had the usual quick salads and smoothies while brainstorming my latest genius project.

Last night I decided to put effort into making something different and good. Preprogrammed with a plan for today, I got up this morning, went for a walk in the rain (I LOVE morning walks in the rain with the air full of cedar-scent) to the store, collected all the herbs I'd need for this recipe, and listened to educational podcasts over the 2 hours it took me to make these cannelloni rolls. ;) I'm a slow-burning flame of eternal transmutation (of raw materials into tasty nourishment).

Ingredients

TOMATO SAUCE TOPPING

½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 2 hours
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon Himalayan salt

FILLING

2 broccoli stalks (with crowns), cut into chunks
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
½ cup sunflower seeds, sprouted [I used walnuts]

CANNELLONI "SHELLS"

1 large zucchini
¼ cup raw pine nuts (optional)


Directions

For the sauce: In a blender, combine sun-dried tomatoes, water, ½ teaspoon lemon juice, olive oil, and thyme. Blend until smooth.

In a food processor, combine sun-dried-tomato mixture with fresh tomatoes, basil, oregano, and ½ teaspoon salt. Pulse until combined (do not puree). Pour into a bowl and set aside.


To make the filling: Wash food processor, towel dry, then add broccoli and finely chop. Add nutmeg and rosemary; process until incorporated.

Transfer broccoli to a mixing bowl and, without washing food processor, combine sage, cashews, sunflower sprouts, ¼ cup lemon juice, and remaining salt. Process until smooth.

Stir the cashew mixture into the broccoli until well blended. Set aside.


For the shells: With a mandoline or vegetable peeler, shave long, wide strips from the zucchini. Place 4 strips side by side, overlapping slightly, to make a square.

openfaced version, oh la laPlace a few tablespoons of broccoli mixture along zucchini ends. Roll zucchini slices over the mixture to make a long, filled tube. Repeat with remaining zucchini strips and filling.

Serve in a pool of tomato sauce. Top with more sauce and raw pine nuts if desired.

These were really good! I'd make them again. I rolled one as a cannelloni shape, and the other I setup as an openfaced sandwich. Now I know the difference between rosemary and thyme. And now I have that Scarborough Fair song in my head.

No comments: