Friday, March 13, 2009

Give Them What They Want

I've been watching TED talks all week. Awesome stuff.

When I did my brief stint as an agroecology undergrad at UBC before getting a position in the lab, I was into permaculture and sustainable this and biodynamic that. Still am, but not to the same degree.

I recall reading about Sepp Holzer, who impressively established an intensively cultivated yet harmoniously functioning garden at the top of some mountains in Austria. Check it out:



"His experience is the only source of knowledge he trusts" -- I love that.


Aaand the controversial Foie Gras:



The take-away: "I give the geese what they want."

The key to successful permaculture systems: "Giving each species what it wants."

Social engineering: "Give the people what they want."

No comments: