Monday, April 13, 2009

Sporty Brazil Nuts


Added grapefruit, brazil nuts and sunflower seeds to my daily routine of smoothies and kale + avocado salads.

Vive la Brazil Nut: "The proteins found in Brazil nuts are very high in sulfur-containing amino acids like cysteine (8%) and methionine (18%) and are also extremely rich in glutamine, glutamic acid, and arginine. The reason that Brazil nut concentrates selenium is probably that this element is very, similar chemically to sulfur. Sulfur is frequently deficient in Amazonian soils, especially after decades or centuries of Brazil nut harvesting and export from the casthanais. If the soil contains significant amounts of selenium, this is used by the plant instead of sulfur." (24.10.2006)

Brazil nuts are the richest source of dietary selenium and are also high in fat. I read somewhere that selenium contributes to feeling good; I read somewhere else that too much selenium is linked to type II diabetes and toxicity, etc. Do your own research. Or "eat a well-balanced wholesome diet" as Goran insists.

Speaking of Goran, I went for another seawall walk with him yesterday afternoon. I've heard through the Mom grapevine that my Grandmother thinks that because Goran is a "sporty fella", I will fall in love and marry him. It's sad. Goran and I joke about this. I like Goran, and I appreciated that he could help when I needed a screw removed from my harddrive's case, but we're friends. Until he sees that I've posted this:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More Grandma material. He seems like such a nice guy...sigh...ponder. Amazing scenery!!!!!!
Love you!
Mom