Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Human Brain

I enjoy Dr. Marian Diamond, Professor at Berkeley (Integrative Biology Dept.).  I like her lecturing style and that she takes good care of herself and cares about her students. I gather that she cares, anyway. I could hug her all day.

Optimism About the Aging Brain - the article is from 1998, but I recall the surprise (and my relief) at research that showed the brain's plasticity (as a kid I'd been told that the brain 'stops learning' and its functioning begins to decline after 18 years of age... or maybe that was just the observation in my hometown).  Use it or lose it, mmhmm.

Online lectures - I appreciate the oldschool blackboard teaching method and the act of immersing one's senses by doing or at least by taking notes by hand, I say, as I sit passively at my computer.

No comments: