Wednesday, January 28, 2009

First Breakfast Smoothie



Experimental Green Breakfast Smoothie:

1 banana
1 whole organic gala apple
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup strawberries
half a peeled lemon
1 celery stalk
the rest of my kale (half a cup-ish)
2 big beet leaves



I included the celery -- I wanted to enjoy its benefit without having to taste it. Celery is another one of my not-favourites, yet I've read that celery is high in the good kind of sodium and contains pthalides, active compounds that help relax blood vessels and reduce stress response. I don't know.

Also threw in some beet leaves mainly because I'd used up all my kale, and also because the beets aren't easy to fit into my fridge in their present full-glory state.

So now I'm going to run into the kitchen to turn it oooooooon.

Okay definitely needed some liquid. Added maybe a cup of orange juice and a cup of water.

Now it looks like a smoothie.

It's still a bit thick, [insert self-deprecating comment here], so I like it like that. It'll remind me to chew. Now chewing... the smoothie has a pleasant, sweet scent of beets with a fruity green taste. I think next time I'll leave the blender on a bit longer, to really blend all the materials to tiny particles, but this is still a delicious result.

I'm getting those energized shivers.

No comments: