Monday, July 27, 2009

Hot and Humid

this is from yesterday (july 25) when vancouver was pretty in an orange way

(This photo is from yesterday. Yesterday was fun.)

Today (like every day) was all about me. I spent time with myself doing coursework and going for short walks (400-metre heats) before passing out on my bed for long naps. I didn't feel like eating during the day so I did laundry instead, drank a sugary banana-strawberry-cacao concoction midday and choked down 3 Capers chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies with cashew pieces for dinner.

While resting on the hill with a notebook and my ipod at English Bay this evening, a kind yet progressively familiar older tourist guy named Rick decided that I was showing all the signals for being open to long-talky-about-nothing-in-particular time. So he gave me a long chat spanning naturopathic medicine, energy meridians, the Vernon softball tournament, invasive plants, travel and the Brothers Gibb. I was polite, as I like to listen to tourists with whom I have nothing in common (...except for the items listed above) and learn about perspectives completely different from mine -- but I enjoy it for five minutes, tops. And from a healthy distance away, unless they're my type and this is a fantasy sequence of our first magical meeting or something. Anyway, he inched closer and closer and closer until an hour later he was brave enough to give me a hug and tell me that I reminded him of a German Mennonite. Thanks? I said thanks. He called me Martha.

I maintain that I do enjoy people and I'd rather be friendly than suspicious. Or friendly, then suspicious; I hear that the ones that emerge into this life with the greatest idealistic notions are the same ones that appear the most cynical later. (*Shout-outs to Goran and Lori. And Michelle.*)

;-)

No comments: