Sunday, February 1, 2009

Thai Fresh Wraps & Pesto Pizza

from Gorilla Food raw restaurant
Oh yes, I could get used to this. I want to make it all! All the raw dishes (that taste good)! It looks simple enough.

Thai Fresh Wraps: "Three collard leaf wraps filled with a sprouted sunflower seed and veggie pate, sesame seasoned coleslaw and served with a ginger raisin chutney."

Pesto Pizza: "A sun-dried tomato and fresh tomato herb sauce topped with a hempseed walnut basil pesto, a crumbly walnut “cheez” and fresh tomato slices."

I walked right by Chapters on the way to the raw food place and made a mental note to pick up some raw food recipe books next time.

When I picked up my food, the guy said, "Argh, I just wanna like, wipe you down." I am the only person in Vancouver who doesn't like to use an umbrella. So I look drenched most of the time, and this somehow makes me more approachable. Story-with-moral time!

On my way home, standing at the corner of Georgia and Richards with my headphones on and my eyes closed, waiting for the light to change, a middle-aged (I don't know what he was wearing, I rarely notice that stuff) guy says a perky, "Hi." He says it twice, but the first time I'm really hoping he's talking to somebody behind me because the way he says it is like he knows the person or he's talking to a celebrity or something. Plus I was clearly not giving off "talk to me" vibes (unless repeating in my mind "don't talk to me, don't talk to me, don't talk to me" yields the opposite effect, which it does...). Otherwise, I may have perceived the interaction in a more open light.

I say, "Hi, how are you?" [I think that was my first mistake. Don't encourage!]

"Good, thanks. I'm Tom." And he holds out his hand to shake hello.

I stand there with my hands in my pockets and am suspicious. He doesn't look homeless or that he wants something from me but I don't feel like touching his hand when he's so gung-ho about it. I consider explaining to him why I don't want to shake his hand ('um, as a rule that I've just decided upon now I don't shake hands with people I don't know who initiate contact with an oblivious me on street corners') but at the same time I don't feel like explaining myself. Also, I don't know why the hell he's talking to me when I'm standing there with my headphones on and eyes closed. So then he reads my mind and tells me.

"I'm just going to London Drugs, right over there."

I smile instead of saying what I'm thinking. At that moment the advance green signals the oncoming traffic to turn left in front of us. The guy asks with a bit of attitude, "Why do cars get priority?"

I think, 'Because life has a hell of a sense of humour and wants us to stand here uncomfortably for as long as possible' but instead I make up an answer and say, "Because there are a lot of cars and the traffic congestion would be worse if fewer cars were able to turn left." I like to answer rhetorical questions.

And then I walk down the street without saying goodbye.

I LIKE the friendly/open people in this world and yet I felt like I was a bit of a jerk to him. A pleasant jerk, but not me. Or maybe that is part of me. Maybe I'll just accept it. Now embracing the mega biatch in me insofar that it is a beneficial expression on occasion for the highest good of all. Hah.

No comments: