Thursday, August 27, 2009





I've been eating the usual smoothies as of late.  Here's a photo of my smoothie ingredients prior to blending with my greens.  (I hear the ingredients look more appetizing in the pre-blended stage, but I'd argue otherwise in this case.)


Today I studied and learned that the body's stress response (to something perceived as distressing) triggers the release of glucocorticoids from the adrenal cortex.  Cortisol is one of these hormones.  Okay I already knew that. But what I learned today, via an online lecture by Dr. Marian Diamond, was that too much cortisol for too long decreases the size of the cerebral cortex (shrinks your brain). Hah. So, relax. Exercise helps to deactivate the circulating hormones faster via your liver.


Tonight I had chocolate frozen yogurt with coconut with Lori and made a big bowl of quinoa that I haven't touched. Tomorrow! Relaxing bikeride time now.


11:57pm-12:37am. Woohoo.

No comments: