Tuesday, August 18, 2009

41-42 minutes to West Van and back again tonight. The best thoughts of piercing clarity occur to me while I'm on the road, flexing my muscles, trying not to look like I'm working too hard as I pass people, moving my body, breathing deeply. Moving bodies = good. (I'm not condoning a lucrative/morbid pasttime here, but an active way of life. You know, -- bodies that move themselves, taking inspired actions, are hot.) And some thoughts are simply meant to pass through the mind unexamined. I'll illustrate.

So I've determined that my most productive hours are the 2 hours before bedtime and that without a daily plan of action, I waste most of my disposable time by checking mail and a million other sites that do little to enrich my life. All of this occurred to me while biking tonight. I nearly ran over a skunk that was eating a car-flattened crow. Appropriate to mention on a food blog, right? I thought so. Also, thanks to years of internet junkie-ing it up, I've trained my brain to think in 5 second bits and to skip over the info-processing step. My writing reflects this quality of my thinking. And I forget how to formulate an hypothesis or find evidence to convince you properly, so this paragraph will have to suffice. The paragraph exceeds the magical 140 character limit though (unless we're counting personalities), so you mightn't read this far anyway. My point, I think, is that I'm planning (as best as I can) an experiment to structure my day so that I succeed automagically.

Goal: knowing what's important according to values, translating those values into pictures I want to live, acting on those priorities, ignoring the trivial yet urgent things that pop up on my computer 100 times an hour. Mmmmhmmm. Let's see how I pull this off without spending hours consulting productivity blogs (my old favoured way to pretend I was gearing up to make progress on my goals). Also I made spinach smoothies today.

No comments: