Friday, May 8, 2009

Bruised and Thready Avocado

avocado bruised with thready fibres.
My sweet little avocado was one of the few ripe ones left on display at the store last night. And so, its history (I can imagine) involved many a person squeezing the hell out of it to see, "Is it ripe yet? Now? Today? A minute later? A new person later? Oops, dropped on the floor. Now?"

At lunchtime today when I cut the thing open, clinically, not getting too attached to it, my imaginings were confirmed: bruises and those wormlike thready fibres running throughout its young (and of age) flesh.

What is up with those thready fibres? Grosses me out.


I salvaged some avocado innards and wiped them on my salad.

strawberry banana cayenne smoothie.Snack: strawberry-banana-cayenne smoothie. I forgot to wash the strawberries. Don't tell anyone. Usually I wash my containers as soon as I walk in the door, but yesterday my roommate was in the kitchen so I washed only one of my two containers of strawberries, and I did so in the bathroom. Just -- don't ask. We have an unspoken agreement not to be where the other is at any time. Small quarters. Familiarity breeds contempt, etc.

No comments: