Thursday, July 2, 2009

More Community Garden

davie village community garden mizuna

Vancouver is on a roll with all this sunshine. Today I remembered that I have a garden plot at the community garden and that I haven't been watering it lately. Actually I haven't watered it, ever.

So this afternoon I grabbed a plastic produce bag and walked the few blocks to see my plot, intent on salvaging as much mizuna as possible, and then to run like hell before anyone yelled at me for plant neglect.

When I arrived at my plot (after getting disoriented with all the new colours and textures that have sprung up all over the garden since my last visit), an unexpected healthy-looking clump of mizuna, chard, peas and beans greeted me.  Yay!  Tall plants, some gone to seed already; oops. I suspect that a thoughtful community member has been watering my plot, or more likely the bar people pee there, because everything I'd planted was growing strong. Anyway, there were a few gardeners tending to their plants, so I chatted with the friendly bunch for awhile about how great the community garden initiatives are, and how many people are sharing their bounty with churches and people who like to eat.  I went to my happy place when the topic changed to discussing whose zucchini is the biggest, and then as per usual I tuned out all chastising comments re: letting my plot grow wild and free.  I like that my plants do what they want to do.  One gardener guy boasting seven or more plots and zero free time, said to me, and I quote, "That's child abuse."  Then I went home and ate my delicious babies (mizuna and chard) with two garden patties (no soy, woohoo) and avocado. 

garden patty cakes no baker man, on a bed of roses I mean mizuna and chard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

greens & beans?
vegi burgers in iron skillet with just salt no oil, over high heat.
Juicer - greenbeans, carrots, apple, and celery.

natural peanut butter, lettuce and tomato on toasted bread!
Maybe add cucumber and mustard.