Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Pizza and Redemption and Religious Imagery


For breakfast, a wood-fired oven flat-crusted vegetarian pizza.  The whole thing.
And a grapefruit.
 
These are the fruits (vegetables) of my garden plot.  There is so much growing in my plot that I haven't yet harvested - a thick row of mizuna, oxheart carrots, and two rows of this beautifully green, nutrient-rich swiss chard. This is the perfect growing season for chard.  Too bad I pulled all the kale -- it would be enjoying this weather, too.

I used to steam my chard and kale, then pour some flax seed oil and sprinkle a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast on top.  SO GOOD.  Now, I simply shove a leaf or two between a sandwich's innards to supercharge my subway sandwich, for example; that or I let the chard wilt in the fridge when I forget about it for two weeks.

Food and exercise.  From my experience, exercise is way more important to how I feel; if I eat really well but sit around all day, I'm not going to be feeling like my wonderful self.  But if I eat crappy foods, and then persist through the cramps that crappy food often gives me when I'm running around, I'll feel better afterward.  Ideally, eating good foods AND being active is best.  Wow, shocker!  Eating living foods is great and I feel lively, but the activity part of my lifestyle conditions my cells to best use all the fuel I'm giving them.  Yep.  I say this as though I've stumbled upon some secret -- breathing deeply and oxygenating my body via food and exercise is good for me -- but really, I'm just justifying those times when I eat food that starves my body of oxygen.



 

No comments: