Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Roasted Root Vegetables are Not Raw

I wrote most of this post a few days ago while I was high on raw carrot sugars.

Tonight (a few days ago) on my trip to Choices Market 15 minutes before it closed, lots of people were asking me for change (instead of to change, which was nice).

I filled my green grocery box thing with a rutabaga (a.k.a yellow turnip), parsnips, avocado, lemon, onion, garlic, olive oil, red and white potatoes, carrots and I think that's it.  Oh, I also scored the last container of rosemary!  It was shoved to the back of the herb shelf, waiting for me to reach over the fruit cups and dip my shirt into the pineapple juice for the win.

I oven-roasted root vegetables for the Thanksgiving potluck.

This is sort of what I did (depicted in the video), except I used finely chopped rosemary instead of thyme, I applied olive oil liberally to the mix, I didn't use my hands to mix everything together, I went easy on the sea salt, and the vegetables were sure as hell not spread out on parchment paper with spaces separating each perfectly cubed morsel.  Whatever.  I stirred the veggies twice and squeezed a lemon on top before drenching the left corner with too much balsamic vinegar... covered the tray of veggies with aluminum foil... 30 minutes later, I remembered to turn on the oven.  Preheated oven to 350, put in the tray... 30 minutes later and sha-bang.  I have to remember that other people like things to taste good, so I threw some sea salt and black pepper into the mix.  Then heated it some more, because I was on a roll.


Daily smoothies are still going strong.  (And the avocado was for my quinoa lunches, in case you were wondering... not for the roasted veggie dish.)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mmmmmmmmm. This looks like the perfect Fall dish. I must make this!!

Sonya said...

Yes! And then invite me over. I'll bring the mashed potatoes this time, or maybe I'll try my hand at that vegan gnocchi dish you like. But most likely, it'll be mashed potatoes. ;)